Thursday, July 8, 2010

15 years and counting!



"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident." 
                                                                       St Augustine

I am so grateful for whatever "fortunate accident" brought Shane into my life. Yesterday we celebrated our 15th anniversary. I can't believe how fast time has flown by. I also can't believe I actually love him more now than I did then. I definitely married my best friend.
We still have so much fun together. We still talk about everything. We love spending time together. We love watching our 4 children grow-amazed that they are ours! We love to work together. We have learned so much about each other. We are both stubborn and opinionated. We both know how to push each other's buttons. We also know how to apologize and forgive each other quickly. We love accomplishing things together. We love the quiet moments at night when the house has calmed down to a precious silence. We love going on dates. We love dreaming of the future we will have. We are just truly blessed to have found and nurtured such a wonderful relationship. I can't even begin to express my gratitude to him and for him.




Some things I love about Shane:

He is a hard worker. I don't think you can know him and not know that.
He is enthusiastic. I have rarely seen someone with as much energy.
He is passionate about life.
He is always trying to be better. He has an amazing record for getting to the gym at a horribly early hour.
He tells an animated story. Usually pretty loud, but always fun. (our kids always say his laughing wakes them up at night)
He brings me flowers-pretty ones. Even though I never think I want them. I always love them.
He jumps in the car to get me a drink or an ice cream anytime I say I need it to get through the day.
He stays up late with me to watch tv - even after a 12-15 hour day.
He has a great voice and a great talent playing the piano. I love those things even though I don't give him much chance to just sit and play. I love that he is teaching our kids to love music.
He values our relationship and my opinion.
He loves to spend time as a family.
He lights up when he sees our kids (except when they have been told to go to bed a thousand times!).
He has lots of opinions. Good or bad, I love this and I love that I have learned to navigate them.
He would do anything for me, the kids, or our extended family.
He is better looking now than 15 years ago and still loves me though I am not.
There are many more, but this is what came to mind. I love you Shane. Happy Anniversary!

4 comments:

Megan and Kenny said...

Happy 15 years. I thought your list was really sweet. And I laughed at the one about Shane's laugh waking up your kids. :)

dana liston said...

What a cute picture! I was laughing at the better looking one. You are still a beautiful babe and he is a handsome stud! Glad you found Sha-nerd, he is so my brother. :)

Jossie said...

Congratulations! I loved that quote at the beginning of your post by the way...I may have to steal it :-)

Rachel Keppner said...

Awww! What a sweet post-- you inspired me! :-) HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!