Let it be known that I watch too much tv (have I said this before?). When I was young I of course loved things like the Cosby Show, Family Ties, Dukes of Hazzard, but I didn't see them very often. My parents banned tv during the week. Oh the agony. They wanted us to study and be smart or something. This made sleeping over at Grandma Jaussi's house extra fun because we could watch the Love Boat and (ha ha mom and dad!) Fantasy Island.
The real love affair started in during college. Not my first year. We didn't have a tv. We had to write in our journals for entertainment. Or call the radio station with a list of songs we wanted to hear. This sadness needs to be documented so that future generations will see how unspoiled I was. Oh, and so my younger siblings know. They had it good. Me and my roomies watched things like Melrose Place-during which, talking was only allowed during commercials. No boys allowed during that hour. We knew our priorities.We also watched almost every minute of the OJ Simpson trial. Skipped classes and everything. Didn't want to miss it.
Then came the Thursday night lineup. Starting with Friends and ending with ER. Shane and I were newly married and poor, but we saved our money to make that night pizza night. Good times, good tv, good food. Winning combination. When my sister came to BYU that night turned into family night. We were following the prophets council. We are righteous like that.
The obsession grew to an extreme when my kids were really young and we would put them to bed. It was around 8-just when the good shows were starting. Seattle tv starts later than here, which was nice. We got hooked even more. We had shows pretty much every night that we had to see.
The love has continued. And with the blessed invention of the DVR my life was changed! Even as my kids have gotten older, I still have the ability to watch the shows I love. When they go to bed. In silence. Or with a pause button when they come out for drink number 567. Brings a smile to my days.
Is this pathetic? I don't know you tell me. I like to think it is just an escape from the mundane. A small respite from the things I have to deal with each day; from the stress of college way back when, to the arguing of children in the present.
I will say, and you should be impressed, that for the past two years I have refrained from making a calendar to plan out each new season of tv. The calendar told me when my favorites started and when the new shows I wanted to try would begin. They also informed me when stupid networks changed their lineup and two or more favorites were on at the same time (gasp)! Ok, I only skipped last year and this year it's not too late. . . .
Do you share the love? Tell me about your obsession. We can rejoice in it together.
11 comments:
Kenny and I just got a DVR so we can record all of our shows. I am so excited for the fall line up. And I'm glad we got a DVR because now we can do something without worrying about missing our shows. Some shows are hard to find online. I'm making my calender next week. :)
Oh amen sista! I had to basically bribe Karl to get a DVR and it's like the best invention ever! TV is my 'me' time after the kids go to bed. Glee, Grey's, Private Practice, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, and the list goes on....I can't wait!
We drove by Wymount the other day and I was telling the kids about our "family night". I remember as soon as ER was over I would jump up and head home...good times! I love the Amazing Race I don't want anybody to disturb me so I record it for later, maybe I'll get a dvr someday.
You know I share your love of TV! Perfect post, I could not have said it better. I love that you do a calendar, that cracks me up. It's hard keeping track of what show starts when and what channel it's on. I have to admit I have 3 dvr's that record 2 shows each, and sometimes I have them all set at the same time. What do ya think of that!?
I love this post! I am with ya! The DVR is the best invention in entertainment since the TV itself. Which by the way, was invented in Rigby, Idaho as I'm sure you know. :)
Oh the days of the Thursday night line-up!From Friends to ER, you hit it right on the head. In college we had 9-0 nights (for 90210).
TV is a wonderful thing.
Such a funny post. "We are righteous like that" made me LOL. Man, I hate it when the kids' homework gets in the way of watching Survivor together! We also love to watch AFV and Amazing Race on Sunday nights. Jarrett goes to the gym from 9-10 pm on weeknights, so Grey's, Project Runway, or other DVR'd shows are my guilty pleasure while the kids sleep and hubby is away.
I'm soooo on to you. You don't have to make a calendar because your DVR will automatically start recording your shows when they start up again! I'm on auto-pilot myself. Everytime I turn on the TV, it's like Christmas, wondering what show will be there that I didn't know was starting.
What I'm waiting for:
Survivor
Glee
Grey's
Amazing Race
I need another Pushing Daisies, for sure.
We should co-author my dumb TV/movies/music blog that I've completely neglected this summer, yes?
PS. I think yer a gud bloggur.
I agree. I am so excited for the new line up. I can't wait!
oh....and I love your new header!
We were definitely meant to be roommates. OJ trials. haha!
Post a Comment