The other day I heard about a book titled Size 12 Isn't Fat. I haven't read it. I just know it has a sequel or two. I perked right up at the title. It was funny. I thought I should read it. Then I got annoyed. It really got me thinking. Why? Because size 12 ISN'T fat. And the fact that a book is using this as a gimmick is just plain sad. I was almost sucked in. So many people worry too much about what they eat and how much they exercise, in an effort look like people on tv. Or people that spend half their life at the gym. Or the lady that looks like the barbie doll who lives in their neighborhood. No seriously, a barbie doll. And she has had a ton of kids. Something is seriously wrong there.
Why do we do it? Why is thin crammed down our throats? Why can't we all just embrace our looks and our lives for what they are. (unless you are totally unhealthy, then you need to work on it, but that isn't what I am talking about here) Where along the way did our lives become so self absorbed? I think our great grandmothers would be rolling over in their graves. They didn't have time for this crap. They were busy, cooking, cleaning, sweeping(not vacuuming-didn't have the luxury), hand washing and mending. They were busy getting by and surviving.
How is it that we don't wisely use all the time we have gained through modern technology? We waste it trying to become a glamorized, impossible ideal. Or we waste it feeling bad that we will never be that ideal. Ever. So what? We all have tons to offer. Let's pursue what we are good at.
I just want to raise my kids to feel good about themselves no matter what. I want them to know there is so much more to life than how you look. As a mom of 3 girls I just want their focus to be on good things. Not trivial things. They have been told, since kindergarten, by people at school if they look good or not. Daily. That is just wrong. It needs to change.
Ok, since my one day of ranting won't change much, I will move on. I will still probably read the book. I'm always looking for something. I'll just pretend I didn't over think the title and what it represents to women everywhere.
4 comments:
I read somewhere that when you think about your body how fat or thin you are all of the time and talk about your body and food and everything that goes with it all of the time that it is just like worshiping your body and that is not good. I liked that because it does seem like we have to be obsessed with our bodies and how we look and what we eat and how much we work out or there is something wrong with us. We Do need to spend our energy elsewhere!
I love this post, Tricia! You are so wise. I have been thinking a lot lately about body image in our society and have been venting to a few people myself. It goes beyond being overweight, there are a lot of expectations on women to look a certain way to be considered "of value". The saddest part to me is when we begin to forget the value in ourselves because we don't meet these ridiculous standards.
Amen sista! We need more posts like this!
Ah....one of my favorite topics to rant about as well! I have come to the conclusion that (for me and my family) the most important idea behind all of this needs to be health. I am concerned about my body size because I want to be healthy and not fall into medical messes like my parents. I want my kids to see me exercise to know that it is enjoyable, teaches us valuable lessons and is HEALTHY! I want to cook good foods and have some very unhealthy treats occasionally because that too is healthy! Moderation in all things, right? Bottom line, if your true intention behind this is caring for the bodies that Heavenly Father gave us, then that is good. But it is FAR too easy to become obsessive and worship our own selves instead of finding gratitude and happiness with what we have been given.
Step off the soap box Cassie.
Right on! Love this post! As Dolly Parton said, "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap!" (and I'll add time and effort!). I try not to get sucked into the vortex for my girls sake, too! Miss ya!
Post a Comment